Because the story of how two different radio stations called 'Atlanta' and 'Caroline' suddenly appeared at 6 Chesterfield Gardens which had been identified as 'Caroline House', and because the people who moved into that building did so to represent both stations under one call sign called 'Caroline'; tracing the history of events at that address is one way to establish a true timeline of what occurred at that address between the years of 1959 and 1968.
Why 1959 and 1968?
Because we know for a fact and can prove for a fact that in 1959, number 6 Chesterfield Gardens was the Head Office of the long-established Indestructible Paint Company Ltd.
We also know that the Indestructible Paint Company Ltd was bought by another company which added the Indestructible Paint Company Ltd., and another company making printer's inks, to its growing roster of companies. But because their was no longer a need for 6 Chesterfield Gardens after 1960 when the buy-out of Indestructible Paint Company Ltd was completed (we know these details from company records), then the building seems to have become vacant after that date.
Our problem has been in finding authentic documents contemporary with events that took place in the dead-end street known as Chesterfield Gardens in order to establish who was at number 6 before it was further identified in 1964 by the addition of the words "Caroline" and "House" (not 'Radio Caroline House', but just 'Caroline House'.)
It has now come to light via photographic and documentary evidence, that immediately next door to number 6 Chesterfield Gardens in 1964 was number 7 Chesterfield Gardens. For a time it seemed as though the numbers in sequence next door to number 6 were even numbers only, and therefore number 8 was next door to number 6, but we now know that number 7 was next door to number 6, and that number 8 was next door to number 7.
We are being as meticulously precise as we can, because we are trying to follow the rules established in courts of law where foundational evidence must be produced to prove connectivity of locations and events. This is the reason why you may find this process tedious, but it is necessary to totally destroy the mythology that has been both created and then aided and abetted by people such as Paul Rusling who has now (August 9, 2021) been cited as a reference in a totally fake history released within an eponymous podcast owned by the 'History Channel' TV enterprise.
This is why we have a base line of 1959 for the Home (Head) Office of the Indestructible Paint Company Ltd., as number 6 Chesterfield Gardens, and their vacating of that property in 1960 after absorption as a result of a take-over. The question is what happened between 1960 and 1964 when new tenants moved in to number 6 and caused the words "Caroline" and "House" to be painted outside?
For an answer we have turned to number 8 Chesterfield Gardens which is next door to number 7 Chesterfield Gardens (which is next door to number 6 Chesterfield Gardens.) In 1962, we know that number 8 Chesterfield Gardens was occupied by the '21 Club' which was owned by Harry Meadows who also owned 'Churchills', another club on New Bond Street that was operated as part of one business enterprise by Harry Meadows, but each club had different functions within his business plans.
We also know that Harry Meadows plans were greatly influenced by the UK 'Betting and Gaming Act' which was passed as an Act of Parliament on September 1, 1960. This came into effect on January 1, 1961 and legalized additional forms of gambling in the United Kingdom. As a result of this Act, American Mafia members from the Italian Cosa Nostra and Jewish equivalent, began to move into London. In turn, their arrival from New York and New Jersey attracted London gangs such as the Kray Twins who immediately sought to affiliate with them. These gangland connections also impacted upon the activities at 6 Chesterfield Gardens, and not all of them were directly connected to offshore broadcasting!
So who was at number 7 Chesterfield Gardens?
A lot of different companies from steel fabricators to Martini and Rossi Ltd and a pimple cream company that advertised a lot, and who were still there in November 1964! But it looks as if Harry Meadows had already bought the adjoining number 7 and number 6 Chesterfield Gardens for his 1962 announced 'Meadows Hotel', so all of these companies would also be tenants of Harry Meadows.
That would mean that whoever leased 6 Chesterfield Gardens was dealing with Harry Meadows, and this helps to explain why Harry Meadows was hired at the location of 'Churchills' on New Bond Street, because that is where Harry Meadows had his office. But look again at the 'Maintenance Man' want ad that we found in the newspaper (reproduced earlier in the Dick Morecraft editorial). That ad is for the '21 Club', which was also owned by Harry Meadows. So from memory, Harry recalls going to 'Churchills' on New Bond Street and then, within an hour of being hired, he winds up at 6 Chesterfield Gardens.
However, by at least 1962 when he made his announcement about the 'Meadows Hotel', Harry Meadows seems to have become the owner of a strip of connecting addresses on Chesterfield Gardens. One of them was 8 Chesterfield Gardens, home of the '21 Club'. Harry may indeed have gone to 8 Chesterfield Gardens as the advertisement requests, and then someone told him to report to their New Bond Street office where he was actually hired. From there he was sent to 6 Chesterfield Gardens which was just becoming occupied by the people connected to 'Radio Caroline', and there were probably a number of problems with the building that needed to be addressed because it had been vacated by the previous owner.
This scenario makes sense of Dick Morecraft's memory recall and the documentation we have been able to uncover about the 'Meadows Hotel' plans for numbers 8, 7 and 6 Chesterfield Gardens. When Dick Morecraft was dispatched from New Bond Street to Chesterfield Gardens, Dick Morecraft was continuing his employment with Harry Meadows. Harry does not say that it was the only location that he worked at, and therefore he could have been a kind of peripatetic caretaker but working exclusively for Harry Meadows.
We do know for a fact, both from what Dick Morecraft had to say, and from other accounts, that after the people associated with 'Radio Caroline' had moved out, other tenants unrelated to 'Radio Caroline' were still there. We also know that Ronan O'Rahilly had set up own business at his London flat, before reregistering it at 6 Chesterfield Gardens, and after the Marine Offences Act became law, Dick Morecraft was still working at 6 Chesterfield Gardens, because his employer was Harry Meadows!
Everything points to Harry Meadows being Dick Morecraft's employer because Harry Meadows owned 6 Chesterfield Gardens! Therefore, we will be examining the life and times of Harry Meadows in greater detail.
We also look closely at who some of the other tenants were between the years of 1964 and 1967 at 6 Chesterfield Gardens. It is the connectivity with Harry Meadows and his associates that creates a trail that can still be found and explored, and that trail leads to the people who were really behind Radio Caroline!
Copyright 2022 with all rights reserved.